Monday, August 3, 2009

Optometry school applications

Last night Brandon and I finished up his application for optometry school. It's really nerve racking, oh it makes me so nervous. I Believe in my husband so much!! I know that he will get into optometry school it's just a matter of where. We have our top two schools, Southern college of Optometry, in Memphis Tennessee and Southern California college of Optometry.A Part of us only wants to apply to only these schools (since it's EXPENSIVE to apply)But we want to make sure we aren't to cocky so we are trying to decide how many other schools we should apply to. I'm just afraid that we are going to be too confident in Brandon's OAT score, since he did so well, that it will bite us in the butt and we wont even get in and we will have to wait a whole other year before could apply again. I can't wait for all of this to be over with and know for sure where we will be next year.

5 comments:

Brooks said...

Yeah, congrats!

I know it's it terribly exciting and scary at the same time. Josh only applied to 5 schools, which is not many for Dental School. Most other people that he knew were applying to at least 10. I know you'll get in somewhere, though.

My vote is Southern California. No need for EVERYONE to be out east...

Team Jogan said...

well good luck :) i actually hope you end up in cali too... since i have some other friends there and then maybe we could make a big trip of visiting people! and thanks to brandon for helping us move!!

Cam said...

Memphis! California is going to fall into the ocean, you don't want to be there when it happens.

CourtneyFJ said...

Deej! I so feel you on this one! I can only tell you what I know about dental school and it may be very different from optometry school, but I'll tell you my advice. Don't feel like I'm telling you what to do, though! This is just what our experience has been. Paul applied to 15 dental schools, got interviews at 5, was waitlisted at 2 and ultimately go in to 1. His DAT score and GPA were very competitive. He applied to schools where he thought he would be a shew in and also to schools he felt would be a long shot based on their acceptance averages of DAT and GPA. Most of his interviews were at schools he thought would be a long shot; he wasn't even offered interviews where he thought he would get in no problem! When we decided to apply to so many schools, the way we looked at it was that if he had to wait another year, that would be a year later graduating and a year later of earning real money- and not earning that "real money" adds up! Again, I'm not sure how much optometry school costs, but the application costs were a small drop in the bucket of how much dental school costs overall. We felt that even though it was expensive, we really couldn't afford to not apply to so many schools and better his chances of getting in.

Where is the Southern California school? It would be so fun if you guys were close to us! If it's near LA and Brandon needs a place to stay when he interviews, he's welcome to stay with us. :)

Good luck with it all and don't stress too much!

Team Serra said...

oh how exciting! we seem to move all over so let me know where you end up and we might be close by too!!! your family is so cute diedre!